Thoughts, Tips & Tricks On Caring For Your Animals, Naturally

If you’ve got a curious mind – get in touch and ask me your health, behavioural or homeopathy related questions, I’d be happy to answer them right here on the Wild Remedy blog.


Help! My fur-baby has eaten chocolate - what should I do?

I love Easter, mainly because I love chocolate.  I mean, who doesn't love chocolate!

Over the years I have become very aware of my addiction to chocolate, just as I am aware that with dogs and cats in the house I can't leave chocolate lying around for easy access.

In case you didn't know  chocolate is highly toxic to dogs and cats!

As a first time fur-baby guardian I had no idea that chocolate was toxic to cats and dogs.  I really have no idea how my lot have survived as back in the day chocolate was literally everywhere in my house.  

So, like a Nestle Kit Kat, let's break this toxic chocolate business down:

Why is chocolate toxic to cats and dogs?

Chocolate contains both theobromine and caffeine which if consumed in large quantities can be toxic to both cats and dogs.  Theobromine is absorbed much more slowly in cats and dogs than what it is in people, so even a small amount can be toxic to a small cat or a small dog.   Caffeine is very similar to theobromine, in which both can speed up your cat and dog's heart rate and stimulate their nervous system

Each cat and dog will have different sensitivity levels to caffeine and theobromine; even if you think they have only ingested a little bit of chocolate it is always best to treat them straight away.

For dogs and cats the most toxic type of chocolate is cocoa powder followed by unsweetened bakers chocolate, semisweet chocolate, dark chocolate and then milk chocolate.  White chocolate contains only trace amounts of caffeine and theobromine, but is still bad for your cat or dog and should still be avoided.

What symptoms do I need to look out for?
The symptoms will vary depending on what type of chocolate has been eaten and also their body weight, however if your dog or cat has managed to get into the chocolate stash then you will usually see symptoms within the first 6-12 hours.  Symptoms can last for as long or up to 3 days in severe cases.

Common symptoms include:

  • Vomiting

  • Diarrhoea

  • Restlessness/hyperactivity

  • Increased urination/thirst

  • Tremors

  • Increased heart rate

  • Collapse

I am always asked in toxic conditions if you should induce vomiting.  My answer is always NO.  The reason being around this is if you haven't actually seen your cat/dog eat something specific then you don't know what you are dealing with.

If your dog/cat has ingested something caustic and then you induce vomiting it will cause internal burning of the esophagus causing more damage and pain.  If you are in any doubt, your first point of contact is your local vet.  You can always administer homeopathic remedies while you are on the phone to the vet seeking advice. 

What homeopathic remedy can I give?
My top homeopathic remedy for anything toxic is Arsenicum. This is my go to remedy when Willow has potentially ingested anything toxic. 

I also suggest that you get in contact with your animal homeopath as both acute and follow-up care is advised when it comes to ingesting anything toxic.  

It's interesting as the symptoms listed above correspond with the Arsenicum remedy very closely. When Arsenicum is needed you will see vomiting and diarrhoea in the animal (usually at the same time but this is not a hard and fast rule). They will be very very restless and anxious. They will be thirsty but only for small sips at a time.

The safest thing you can do is keep the chocolate out of reach, or just do what I do; eat it so fast that they don't have a hope!

Happy Easter everyone and enjoy that chocolate!


This product has been added to your cart